Kaduna: Abducted schoolchildren regain freedom after 2 weeks in captivity

The bandits who kidnapped Kuriga students in Kaduna State have released them after nearly 16 days in captivity.

Senator Uba Sani, the state governor, confirmed the release on his verified Facebook page early Sunday morning.

The governor did not provide information about their release, but congratulated President Bola Tinubu, the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, and the Nigerian Army.

He wrote, “In the name of Allah the Beneficient, the Most Merciful, I wish to announce that our Kuriga school children have been released.

“Our special appreciation goes to our dear President, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR for prioritizing the safety and security of Nigerians and particularly ensuring that the abducted Kuriga school children are released unharmed. While the school children were in captivity, I spoke with Mr. President several times. He shared our pains, comforted us and worked round the clock with us to ensure the safe return of the children.

“Special mention must also be made of our dear brother, the National Security Adviser, Mal. Nuhu Ribadu for his exemplary leadership. I spent sleepless nights with Mal. Ribadu finetuning strategies and coordinating the operations of the security agencies, which eventually resulted in this successful outcome.

“The Nigerian Army also deserves special commendation for showing that with courage, determination and commitment, criminal elements can be degraded and security restored in our communities.

“We also thank all Nigerians who prayed fervently for the safe return of the school children. This is indeed a day of joy. We give Almighty Allah all the glory.”

Recall that bandits had invaded LEA Primary School Kuriga and Junior Secondary School, Kuriga town, in Chikun Local Government Area of the state around 8am on March 7 and abducted students including a principal, Abubakar Isah.

Although it was initially reported that 287 schoolchildren were abducted, official sources said the actual number was 138 and one of the victims died in captivity.

It was learnt that the remaining 137 victims released by bandits had been taken to hospitals for medical attention.

The abduction, which happened immediately after the assembly briefing, caused uproar across the country.

The abductors were reported to have demanding N1bn from the family to release the children, but both the state and federal governments insisted that no ransom would be paid.

More details to follow…..

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.